KIA MPG Class Settlement
- Provides information to potential class members in regards to the Kia Fuel Economy Class Action Settlement
- The case is number MDL 13- 2424-GW-FFMx and is in the jurisdiction of the United States District Court for the Central District of California
- Class notices will be mailed to members starting in December 2014 through January 5, 2015
A fairness hearing in the KIA MPG class action lawsuit will be held on June 11, 2015 at the United States District Court for the Central District of California to discuss if the settlement is fair and reasonable. Anyone who would like to object to the settlement produced by KIA will have until March 5, 2015 to do so.
What is the KIA MPG Class Settlement all about?
The lawsuit claims that Kia chose favorable results rather than average results from a large number of tests in order to improve the results of their autos gas mileage estimates (people will be more incline to buy a car that gets more miles to the gallon). The case is so big even U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder got into the act saying
“This type of conduct quite simply will not be tolerated. And the Justice Department will never rest or waver in our determination to take action against any company that engages in such activities — whenever and wherever they are uncovered”
Other KIA MG Lawsuit Notes
- An estimated settlement pot in the amount of 100 million US Dollars have been proposed
- Will effect over 1 million automobiles in the US
- The lawsuit was filed by the United States and the California Air Resources Board
- Kia will have to pay a fine over 50 million US Dollars for this corruption
This is the largest penalty ever to be handed down under the Clean Air Act to date.