Stain Protection Settlement
- Online and mail-in claim filing available
- Key deadlines apply to the settlement
- Administrator can be contacted for help
Customers can often be quite skeptical of any kind of “add on” protection plan or warranty being sold at the point of sale. When it comes to the Force Field Protection Plans sold by Rooms to Go, it appears the Class Representatives in the class action lawsuit known as Hankinson et al. v. R.T.G. Furniture Corp., et al were skeptical and then some. The lawsuit was filed over allegations that the Defendant (Rooms to Go) did not professionally apply the stain protectant to furniture and engaged in other actionable conduct in the sale and fulfillment of Force Field Protection Plans. One Class Representative even claims the Defendant charged for the protection plan without her agreement to make the purchase. It should be made crystal clear that the Defendant denies these allegations and the court has not decided in favor of one party over another. However, in order to avoid the costs, delay, and disruption of continued litigation both parties have agreed to settle the matter. Those who believe they are eligible for compensation can submit a claim online by going to the Stain Protection Settlement page and clicking the File a Claim tab.
Loud and clear. What else should I be aware of?
- The deadline by which claims must be filed (online or by mail) is January 15th, 2018
- November 17th, 2017 is the date by which exclusion requests must be post-marked
- Force Field Fabric or Leather Protection Plans that sold for $8.00 or less are excluded
- The hearing to decide whether to approve the settlement is on December 15th, 2017
- Compensations will be reduced if the total amount of claims exceed $13.5 million
Class Members will need to decide whether they wish to claim a check for up to 10% of the total amount paid for all plans OR a merchandise voucher equal to 45% of the total amount paid for all plans. Those who plan on submitting a claim by mail should make sure the correspondence is post-marked no later than the January 15th, 2018 filing deadline and sent directly to the Settlement Administrator. Class Members with questions can check out the FAQs posted at the Stain Protection Settlement page. Those who don’t find what they were looking for in the FAQs may want to try calling the Settlement Administrator for further help.
Stain Protection Settlement Administrator
- PO Box 404018, Louisville, KY 40233-4018