CA Call Recording Lawsuit
- Claims can be filed online or through the mail
- Administrator can be contacted with questions
It’s probably pretty difficult to find someone who actually likes the idea of being on a recorded phone call without knowledge of the fact they are being taped. When such an action is alleged to have taken place on a mass scale a class action lawsuit may be on the horizon. 3 cases involving these types of allegations with HSBC as the Defendant have recently come together for one settlement to resolve allegations that HSBC placed phone calls to California residents and monitored or recorded them without consent. It should be noted that the Defendant not only denies these allegations but also any claims of wrongdoing whatsoever. At this point it appears who is right and who is wrong no longer matters as the parties have agreed to settle the matter pre-trial in order to avoid the costs and risks associated with taking the case further. Those who believe they are eligible for compensation can get a claim started by going to the CA Call Recording Lawsuit page and clicking the File a Claim tab.
What else should I know before filing?
- The alleged calls must have been received between March 23rd, 2009 and May 1st, 2012 in order to be eligible
- A proposed settlement fund of $13 million has been established ($4,333,333.33 will go towards attorney fees)
- August 28th, 2017 is the set date by which all claims, exclusions requests, and objections must be submitted
- The Final Approval Hearing to decide whether to approve the settlement will be held on October 16th, 2017
It is important to point out that Class Members who take no action at all will not receive payment and lose their right to start their own lawsuit (unless an email or postcard was received advising that a Claim Form did not need to be submitted). Those who have questions regarding the settlement may want to either review the information posted at the CA Call Recording Lawsuit page or contact the Settlement Administrator directly.
- PO Box 43438, Providence, RI 02940-3438