Credit Status Now
- Access a credit status account online
- Requires a user name and password
- The service/site is operated by Status Now, Inc.
Consumers who would like a free copy of their credit report (from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) can obtain one via mail by calling 1-877-322-8228. Consumers are limited to one free request every 12 months. Consumers are allowed to order three reports from each credit reporting company at once or can stagger the request out over the period over a year. Most consumers should make a request once every 3 months to obtain the most accurate credit score report.
The Credit Repair Organizations Act
- Protects consumers against shady companies who might lie about what they can actually do to improve a credit score
- CROA is enforced by the Federal Trade Commission
- Any complaints can be brought the to attention of the FTC at 1-877-FTC-HELP
- Credit counseling is advised for those who have problems creating a budget and spending money reasonably
- Some credit counseling organizations that say they are government-approved, but don’t appear on the list of approved organizations
- Please check this list for approved organizations